Showing posts with label Hyderabad Security. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Hyderabad Security. Show all posts

Friday, 13 November 2009

NISA India: CISF Marine commandos to guard seaports

By U Sudhakar Reddy
Around 200 marine commandos trained in National IndustrialSecurity Academy in city are now ready for deployment in sea ports across the countryto prevent Mumbai September 11 type attacks.The Central Industrial Security Force marine commandos were trained at NISA with thehelp of Indian Navy to guard the ports across the country.NISA Director Mr Anurag Sharma told this newspaper ,"these marine commandos trainedto guard the ports are yet to be deployed. They are expertise to defend the ports fromattacks,"NISA marine commandos are defensive force unlike National Security Guard(NSG) whichis a strike force. The marine commandos will be deployed to strengthen the security inmajor ports of the country like Mumbai, Chennai, Vishakapatnam, Pradeep alreadyguarded by CISF. Indian Navy has MarCos(marine commandos) unit the elite force whichwas part of Operation Black Tornado in Mumbai. The expertise of MarCos was used intraining CISF marine commandos.Intelligence agencies earlier alerted that there is a serious threat to the ports across thecountry.As there is huge demand for CISF security post Mumbai terror attacks the Ministry ofHome Affairs has decided to increase the strength of the force drastically.Mr Anurag Sharma said ,"At present the CISF strength in the country is 1.05 lakh. In thenext three years this would go up to 1.45 lakh. At present recruitment is on with hugeintake.
Though we have requirement from private sector this force would be needed onlyfor the Public Sector undertakings,"He added that Delhi Metro which is already given CISF security will be requiring furtherforces as the other phases are under construction.CISF cover is already given to IT giant Infosys at Bangalore in private sector andReliance has been requesting the CISF to give security cover. Taj Group of Hotels worsthit in Mumbai terror attacks also asked for the CISF security. The security of PublicSector Units like Nalco in Orissa and in naxal infested areas like Jharkhand, Bihar,Chattisgarh, Orissa are being strengthened on the wake of mass attacks from Maoists.NISA in the city has Fire Service Training Institute and National Disaster Response Forcetraining units. Officials said NISA is the country's nodal centre offering training inNuclear Biological and Chemical disaster management.

Saturday, 7 November 2009

India SVP National Police Academy security stepped up

Udumula Sudhakar Reddy
Security has been tightened at the Sardar Vallabhbhai National Police Academy, the premiere training institute for IPS officers, after intelligence reports that it was likely to be targeted by terror groups.
Armed guards have been posted on the top of the academy building following the unravelling of a terror plot to attack National Defence College in New Delhi. Sources in the Intelligence Bureau said that the Lashkar-e-Tayyaba was plotting to target police and army colleges in the country. The Union home minister, Mr P. Chidambaram, who was here to attend the passing-out parade of IPS officers, however, refused to disclose to mediapersons whether there were any possible targets in Hyder- abad.
"IPS officers are protecting the nation so they have to be protected. NPA must be a secured place and IPS officers should be protected well," he said. "We are going to strengthen the CISF securi ty."
Sources in Cyberabad police commissionerate said that patrolling and frisking operations had been intensified around the NPA in Shivarampally after they received an alert.
"Top people who visit the academy will be vulnerable in normal security and so we will increase the CISF guards," said the National Industrial Security Acade my director, Mr Anurag Sharma.
Officials said that the Army and Air Force were also asked to beef up secu rity in their training insti tutes located at Dundigal, Hakimpet and other parts of the city.
However NPA sources stated that there is no alert and security threat.

Thursday, 2 July 2009

NSG: Mumbai operation heroes lead Black Cats in Hyderabad

By U Sudhakar Reddy
The commandos who shot down the terrorists during the Taj Hotel and Nariman House siege in Mumbai last November will head the National Security Guard hub in the cityBrigadier Subash Rangi and Lt Col. Sandeep Sen, who took part in Operation Black Tornado following the November 26 terror attack, will be leading the team of 250 NSG commandos to protect the city against jihadi terrorists as well as Maoists“We will be dealing with counter terrorism and counter hijack operations,” said Brig. Rangi. “We are not going to say that we will not touch left wing extremism. In case a situation of specific nature comes up like a hostage situation we will be dealing with it.” The local NSG hub will be covering Hyderabad and nearby areas and other cities within the State“If there are incidents in places such as Nellore and Tirupati the NSG hub in nearby Chennai will be called in,” said Brigadier Rangi. “Some part of Orissa is closer to Andhra and so Hyderabad will be dealing with it.” During operations, the NSG hub will be using facilities of the Army, Navy, BSF and CRPF. “In case of deficiencies we will take the help of Delhi or neighbouring hubs,” he said. “The response time will be decreased. Soon after the construction at Trimulgherry is completed we will move to that place.” Meanwhile, sources said the NSG is unlikely to take up the protection of Tirupati temple. “I will not be able to comment on that at this time,” said BrigRangiThe Chief Minister, Dr Y.S. Rajasekhar Reddy, will be unfurling the NSG flag at R-40, CISF barracks, in Old Airport at Begumpet on WednesdayThe decision to set up NSG hubs at important cities was taken following the 26/11 strikes.

Tuesday, 23 September 2008

9/11 at Nagarjuna Sagar Dam feared

By Udumula Sudhakar Reddy
Security agencies are not too happy with the proposal to allow an aviation academy to come up near the Nagarjunasagar reservoir.
They feel that terrorists could replicate a September 11 model attack on the dam by making use of trainer aircraft.
Since the training flights are small, there is not much possibility of a major impact, but intelligence agencies are still concerned and expressed their fears when the state government sought their feedback on the proposed aviation academy.
The dam is already on the hit list of the Lashakar-eTayyaba and its security is a big concern.
In a meeting attended by the home minister, Mr K. Jana Reddy, the minister for irrigation, Mr P. Lakshmaiah, and the intelligence department head, Mr K. Aravinda Rao, on Monday discussed FlyTech Aviation Academy’s request for leasing out 90 acres of land near the airstrip at Nagarjunasagar.
Captain Mamata and Captain Gopal of the Academy also took part in the meeting. The airstrip was laid when Jawaharlal Nehru flew down for the inauguration of the dam.
Sources said the possibility of terrorists misusing the facility was also being discussed. “No decision has been taken yet,” said the source.
“The proposal will be referred to Director-General of Civil Aviation authorities.” “In the United States, terrorists enrolled in the flying academy and later hijacked flights to hit the twin towers of the World Trade Centre,” said a senior police officer. “We can’t ignore that possibility.” However, other police offiers dismissed the fears as unfounded.
In December 2004 an aircraft owned by DGCA and operated by AP Aviation Academy crash landed on the airstrip after minutes of flight.
Earlier, the government proposed to hand over the site situated 6 km from Nagarjunasagar dam to the tourism department to develop the third century Buddhist site and make it part of the pilgrim circuit.
FlyTech Aviation Academy has asked for the site as their flying zone was reduced after the Shamshabad International Airport became operational. The academy is situated on Nagarjunasagar Road.

Sunday, 22 June 2008

Film stars Jeevitha and Rajashekar seek gunmen

By U Sudhakar Reddy
Film actress Jee vitha and her actor husband Rajasekhar have asked police to provide them with more personal security guards.
In a letter to the police commissioner, Mr B. Prasada Rao, Ms Jeevitha said her family was feeling threatened after a series of incidents including a burglary.
The couple was given two security guards after the alleged attack by Chiranjeevi fans in January 2008, following a comment by Mr Rajasekhar on the former’s political entry. They were withdrawn after the security review committee found that there was no longer any threat to the couple.
“Ms Jeevitha has asked for security saying they are still facing a threat, but did not specify any group or persons,” said the joint commissioner of police (Security), Mr Kripananda Tripathi Ujela. He added that police could provide one guard at a time if the couple agreed to pay for his services.
Mr Rajasekhar, his wife and their daughters suffered minor injuries and the windowpane of their car was smashed in the assault by ‘Chiranjeevi fans’ at Punjagutta when they were returning home from Bhimavaram in West Godavari district. The fans were allegedly irked by Rajasekhar’s comment that Chiranjeevi has no political experience. Following the attack, Chiranjeevi visited their house and apologised.
Punjagutta police also registered a case against the attackers and arrested them.
However, in the last week of May, burglars entered Rajasekhar’s office at Jubilee Hills and stole cash and electronic goods. The script of their new movie was also damaged and this raised suspicions.

Monday, 2 June 2008

Security withdrawn for Tennis Star Sania Mirza

By U Sudhakar Reddy
Hyderabad, May 31: The city police has withdrawn the two gunmen deputed to give security cover to tennis star, Ms Sania Mirza, after she failed to pay the user fee of more than Rs 2 lakh. Other VIPs including film star, Dr Rajashekhar, and former Wakf Board chairperson and Telugu Desam leader, Mr Mohammed Saleem, also lost their gunmen since the security review committee felt they no longer faced threats.
However, superstar, Chiranjeevi, was allowed to retain his gunman as he was paying the user fee. In Ms Mirza’s case, there was disagreement among the top police officers on whether the gunmen should be withdrawn over the issue of pending user fee. While some senior cops felt that Ms Mirza should be provided security on the state’s expense since she was a prized champ, others felt that she ought to pay.
The ‘user fee’ lobby carried the day and police issued notices to Ms Mirza asking her to pay the arrears. The joint commissioner of police (security), Mr Kripanand Tripathi Ujala, said notices would be issued again to the tennis star to collect the arrears. "The review commit didn’t recommend her case stating that there is no threat perception to her now," said Ujala.
Ms Mirza was given gunmen for more than nine months and she was meant to pay Rs 25,000 per month. The City Security Wing is providing security to 143 persons. In all, 16 VIPs, mostly film stars, politicians and media barons, are paying user fee for the gunmen.
"Personal security officers are provided only on the basis of genuine threat," said Mr Ujala. "We are also reviewing the threat perception from time to time." Police sources added that the VIPs had to pay a fee of Rs 12,000 for each gunman. "This is equal to a salary of a constable rank officer," said the source.
However, Mr Saleem objected to his security cover being withdrawn and said that he still needed it. "I am a businessman and politician," he said. "I have been paying the user fee on time regularly."

Sunday, 1 June 2008

Raj Bhavan gets High Security suites for PM and President

By Udumula Sudhakar Reddy
Exclusive high security suites for the President, Prime Minister and Vice President are being built in the Raj Bhavan guest house at a cost of Rs 3 crore.
They are being designed in such a way that snipers won’t be able to target the occupants from nearby high-rises. The Additional Director General of Police (Intelligence), Mr Aravinda Rao, has cleared the construction in Raj Bhavan, the official residence of the Governor, Mr N.D. Tiwari.
Lack of fortified places to put up visiting VVIPs has always troubled the police and the new suites will solve this problem.
The state government has released Rs 3 crore for building the suites and the secretary to the Governor has requested administrative sanction for taking up construction worth Rs 16.22 crore in the Raj Bhavan premises.
Earlier, the government had sanctioned Rs.4.88 crore for construction of an administrative block, officers’ residential complex, and new blocks for drivers.
A senior police officer said that there were initially some concerns about whether the suites of VVIPs could be targeted by snipers. “Later, the design was changed to prevent such attacks,” he said.
The Raj Bhavan is spread over 21.5 acres and is the first big halt for visiting VVIPs. It is also a heritage structure constructed in the 1930s. One of the earlier occupants of the building was Sir Akbar Hydari, the Prime Minister of the Nizam, from 1936 to 1941.
But he stayed here for a short period and shifted to an adjacent building which is now known as Dilkusha Guest House.