Showing posts with label Terror. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Terror. Show all posts

Wednesday, 28 July 2010

NIA probe in Zia Haq terror conspiracy case

By U Sudhakar Reddy
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has taken over the investigation of the conspiracy case involving Lashkar-e-Tayyaba activist Zia Ul Haq from the Special Investigation Team of the city police. This is the first case in the state being taken over by the NIA. “The NIA has taken over the case of Zia Ul Haq and has filed a petition in the court indicating this,” said the Central Crime Station deputy commissioner of police, Mr J. Satyanarayana.

Police said that the conspiracy case of Zia had been handed over to the NIA since it had wider ramifications. It is believed that 25 terror suspects got trained along with him in Pakistan and had intruded into the country. Zia was named an accused in the hand grenade blast at Odeon theatre on May 7 in 2006.
The LeT man had confessed that he was inspired by Jamat ud Dawaa leader Abdul Rahman Makki, a deputy of Hafiz Saeed, who is believed to be the mastermind behind the Mumbai attacks. A senior police officer said NIA had more sophisticated equipment and nationwide jurisdiction and could conduct a comprehensive probe. “Zia’s mentor, Abu Rehan alias Abdul Aziz, was directing terror activities in South India from Bangladesh and Nepal,” he said. “Rehan will also be made an accused in the case.”
NIA sleuths will also probe how Zia got hold of Chinese hand grenades and Chinese pistols. Zia, who conducted a recce of the Hitec City to carry out attacks, is facing charges of Passport Act violations too.


Zia Haq's Pak connections
Hyderabad Commissioner of Police Mr A K Khan showing
pics of Zia Ul Haq
Terror suspect Zia-Ul-Haq, who is currently in the custody of Special Investigation Team of the city police, has confessed that he was inspired by the Jamat-Ul-Dawah (formerly Lashkar-e-Tayyaba) leader, Abdul Rahman Makki, a deputy of Hafiz Saeed — the Pakistan-based terrorists most wanted in India.

In the confession report to SIT, the copy of which is available with this newspaper, Haq confessed, “while working as salesman in a textile company I used to visit a religious place in Jeddah in Saudi where I was most inspired with the preaching and speeches of Abu Ali of Pakistan and Abdul Rehman Makki of LeT-JUD cadre. Abu Ali used to play the CDs of Godhra carnage and other incidents and encourage us. It was Abu Ali of Pakistan who introduced me to Abdul Aziz.”
The investigators also found that on the instructions of LeT commander, Abdul Aziz, Haq crossed the border and went to Bang-ladesh with the support of one Shahi-Ul-Islam in 2008. An investigating official said, “Abdul Aziz alias Abu Rehan is guiding the terror activities in South India from Bangladesh and Nepal.
Haq confessed to the police that he was supposed to meet Abu Ali in Bang-ladesh, but returned as he could not complete the task. “I was trained in the Muzaffarabad camp for a month in handling and usage of explosives, fire arms, etc. I interacted with our instructors Abu Hafis, Sami, Abdul Aziz, Musamil and Zaki-u-Rahman, all Pakistanis. They have given me a specific task in Hyderabad. There were about 25 students in the training camp,” said Haq.
He also said he was under pressure from his handlers to carry out attacks in the city; the latest conspiracy being attack on places frequented by foreigners.

Haq's Hawala Links?
Officials of the Special Investigation Team (SIT) suspect that Lashkar-e-Tayyaba operative, Zia-ul- Haq, might have received large sums of money through hawala channels and other illegal means to perform his subversive activities. Police has found several transactions involving lakhs of rupees in his bank accounts in the city.

They wonder how a taxi driver could have such large sums in his account. Police is waiting for the transaction details from the ICICI bank’s Charminar branch, ABM Amro bank at Banjara Hills, Andhra Bank at Mehdipatnam and HDFC bank. Haq had accounts in all these banks.
Haq was also apparently using five SIM cards — three of Reliance and two of Idea — and the call details from these numbers have to be obtained from the service providers. “We have to identify the locations of the cellphone towers he used before he was arrested,” said an official. Investigators have also seized four hard disks from two cyber cafes in the city and sent them to APFSL for cyber forensic analysis.
Records of Sree Vishnu cyber cafe at Mehdipatnam show that Haq had visited the cafe on April 5, 2010. He had used the cafe three to four times. Two hard disks were seized from the cyber cafe. Haq had also visited another cyber cafe, Amaan Communications at Mehdipatnam, on April 10 and April 27 and contacted his handler Abdul Aziz of Pakistan.
The sleuths are working to crack the code language used by the suspect Haq. “Whenever terror operatives communicate with each other they use a code language. We have to decode this in this case,” said a police official. The accused had made several phone calls to countries including Saudi Arabia. “He made many phone calls and we need to know his contact details abroad. He stayed in a lodge in Delhi for two days in 2005 and met unknown persons and received weapons,” said an official.
Police also said there are several discrepancies in the passport applications filed by him with the Regional Passport Office.

Passport violation by Zia Haq

The Special Investigation Team of city police investigating the case of conspiracy booked against LeT operative Zia Ul Haq found that he has violated the provisions of the Passport Act.

Police said that Haq used a fake address and date of birth while procuring the passport.
The police is now discussing whether to book a separate case against Haq or to include the passport violation in the conspiracy case.
Zial Ul Haq obtained a passport in February 1995 from the Hyderabad passport office with the address as Jyothibagh in Yakutpura. He had quoted his date of birth as 19 February, 1972, by filing an affidavit with the officials.
Haq went to Dubai and worked there. From there he went to Saudi Arabia and then to Pakistan and got trained in the terror camp in Muzaffarabad, police said.
A senior investigating official said, “As his passport was taken away in the terror camp. He infiltrated into the country through Poonch in 2005. In 2006 he again applied for a passport in the name of Mohammed Zia ul Haque with a Muradnagar address. This time he applied for the passport with an SSC certificate that showed his date of birth as on October 19, 1976.”

Sunday, 25 July 2010

Law of Torts : What action on cops in torture case?

By U Sudhakar Reddy
The traumatised victims of police torture in the Mecca Masjid blast case have approached the court demanding compensation from the State government for the nightmarish experience they had to undergo.

They are also seeking action against the guilty police personnel for ruining their lives and careers and for causing unending distress to their families.
Though the Law of Torts is not as strong in India as in other countries, there have been several instances wherein courts have granted compensation to the victims of police torture.
“We have filed a petition in the city civil court as per Law of Torts,” said the senior advocate, Mr Shafeeq Rahman Mahajir, who is fighting the case for the torture victims. “Our contention is that the police had put unnecessary blame on these innocent youth and their rights were violated at the instance of the State. So the State is liable to compensate them.”
The advocate said the demand was for Rs 20 lakh as compensation to each of 20 boys illegally detained and framed by the police. “We also asked for an unspecified amount for the mental trauma and dislocation suffered by the families,” said Mr Mahajir. “We have urged court to recover the entire compensation amount from those who illegally detained the youth."
He said that the court should ideally attach the assets of police officers facing the charge of torture to teach them a lesson and to give an example to other cops. "We have cited a High Court order in an earlier case where Rs 32,000 per day was awarded as interim relief to those detained by the police illegally,” said the advocate. “Some of the boys from the city were detained in jail for 18 months in the Mecca Masjid case.”
The court is now awaiting the responses from the defendants — the government and police officers — in the case. Reacting to the development, the former director general of police, Mr Pervaram Ramulu, cautioned the police to be alert while dealing with major cases such as blasts. “The police should act only when they have evidence and should not rush to conclusions,” he said. “Superior officers should not put pressure on investigating officers to show results.”
“Investigators must be doubly careful or the reputation and life of people will be damaged,” said another former DGP, Mr Swarnjit Sen, who added that such cases were rare and the Hyderabad police usually went about their probes in a scientific manner. “Police in this case violated National Human Rights Commission and Supreme Court guidelines on arrest and detention,” said the human rights advocate, Mr Lateef Khan. “They targeted the entire Muslim community.”

CBI nabs Mecca Masjid blast suspects


By Udumula Sudhakar Reddy
The Central Bureau of Investigation arrested two activists of a Hindu group for triggering the Mecca Masjid blast.

In all, five persons were killed in the blast that took place on May 18, 2007. Following this, the court issued prisoners transit warrant for Devender Gupta and Lokesh Sharma and ordered the CBI to produce them. They are now in Ajmer jail in connection with Ajmer Darga blast and are likely to be brought to the city on Monday.
The CBI alleged that these two accused conspired to carry out the explosion in Mecca Masjid and aided the others.
They also purchased SIM cards and mobile phone devices which were e used in the bomb placed in the masjid. Devender used a fake driving license to buy the SIM cards.
The CBI has established the Mecca Masjid and Ajmer blasts were part of single conspiracy. According to the CBI prosecutor, the bombs used in the blast were made by Sandeep Dange and Ramchandra Kaslangara alias Ramji Kalsangara.
The two bomb experts come to the city two months ahead of the blast and stayed here. The CBI thinks they made the bombs using RDX and planted two of them Mecca Masjid and two in Ajmer.
Sandeep and Ramchandra are absconding and a manhunt is on to nab them. The CBI is also looking into the role of Swami Ashimanand in the case.