Saturday 14 March 2009

AIDS, a misunderstood malaise

Udumula Sudhakar Reddy

December 1, marked as the World AIDS Day, we pledge to end discrimi- nation and promise to spread aware- ness about a dis- ease that is much misunder- stood. The in-laws refused prop- erty rights to a woman and her kids say- ing they will die anyhow.
Discrimination against HIV positive patients continues, underscoring the need for concerted efforts on many fronts to give them space and scope in the mainstream public life. A painful fact remains that some patients are discriminated against by their own family members.
To overcome this, many HIV positive people have found a solution on their own: Networking and marriages within the group.
Sapna, president of ‘HIV positive Network People of Ranga Reddy’, says: “I am living with HIV for the past eight years. When I first launched the network of HIV positive people, very few came forward. But now, our network in the state has grown to 60,000 people living with HIV.” Sapna lamented that there are several cases of discrimination, especially, legal discrimination against HIV positive persons. “People with HIV are denied the right to property,” she said.
In one case, the in-laws refused property rights to a woman and her kids saying they will die anyhow.
Another woman, Mayuri, was deserted by her husband, after she tested positive. “Three years ago, I was tested HIV positive. My husband took away our son. I attempted suicide in 2005. However, I was counselled and now I am helping others. But my husband is seeking divorce,” she said.
People living with HIV have been facing many problems ranging from getting pensions to educating children.
Ramya, also HIV positive, says, “I am from Guntur. My husband died of AIDS, so I came to Hyderabad because I was facing serious discrimination there. Although I produced the death certificate of my husband for widow pension, the authorities insist that I get the pension in my home town only.” ART centres in the state have been providing medication for AIDS-related illnesses nutritional care is not provided. NGOs cover only 30 to 40 per cent of the persons living with HIV. Organisations working for HIV positive people are now asking the government to extend the Aarogyasree scheme to cover HIV positive cases too.
Safety of the blood in government and commercial blood banks is another big concern. The AP State AIDS Control Society (Apsacs) additional project director, Dr B. Kalidas, says “Apsacs works on treatment, awareness and testing. Regarding Aarogyasree, we have informed the principal secretary (health).” On discrimination, Mr Kalidas said, “We give preference to HIV positive people and appoint them as outreach workers. Some departments like fire and police too are not recruiting HIV positive candidates.” There are some positive stories too. Some mothers have formed self-help groups and are funding their own treatment.
Nalini, a resident of Kacheguda, says, “We have formed a self- help group. Each member saves Rs 50 per month and an NGO gives another Rs 50. This way we help others in need.” — All names have been changed to protect their identities

No comments: