Sunday 21 July 2013

Arvind Mahankali: From Motinagar in Hyderabad to Scripps Spellbee champ

Udumula Sudhakar Reddy

Hyderabad family from Motinagar in SR Nagar is in the limelight as 11 year old Arvind Mahankali won the prestigious Scripps National Spelling Bee 2013 competition in Washington United States. Arvind Mahnkali scripted history by becoming sixth Indian origin American to win the title in a row. Aravind’s grand parents live in Tanuku in West Godavari district.
  His father Mr. Srinivas Mahankali an IT consultant in New York who migrated to US in 1995 says, ”Aravind made both New York and Andhra Pradesh proud'.
Srinivas Mahnkali speaking to this newspaper from Newyork says ,”We are happy about his winning the Spelling Bee watched by millions in US.  I think we did something for New York City. He also made AP proud. My wife attended the school at Motinagar. My parents are from Tanuku in West Godavari district. We still have relatives in Hyderabad and Tanuku,”
Aravind’s mother Dr Bhavani is a nephrologist.
A grade eight student of Nathaneil Hawthorne Middle School in Bayside New York, Arvind, 13, loves maths and science and plans to pursue a career as a physicist. Arvind had finished ninth in 2010 and third place in both 2011 and 2012.
Arvind Mahankali spelled "tokonoma" and "knaidel" correctly. Knaidel is a German-derived Yiddish word.
In the past  Arvind has been eliminated on words of German origin. Dr Bhavanai Mahankali a physician said, watching him was "so stressful." "When there were, like, two kids left, I still was not sure" he would win, she said.
Aravind says ,”I love math and science and hope to one day pursue a career as a physicist. My role model and the person I would most like to meet is Albert Einstein. I can speak Telugu, Spanish. I play Tennis, basketball. I am going to stop studying spelling and move on to Physics and I am retiring on a good note," he said.
Srinath also plans to follow in his brother's footsteps. Mr Srinath Mahankali, Arvind's younger brother, said he was proud, too. "I'm really happy that Arvind won," he said. "He's my brother, and I just like to cheer him on." "I want to go in this competition, and I really want to win it all, just like Arvind did," he said.

No comments: